Black & Blum Eau Carafe – Finally A Good Looking Water Filter!
If you’re looking for a stylish water filter, look no further than the Black and Blum Eau Carafe. Because it’s downright sexy.
It is simple in design, a curvy eggplant-shaped bottle with a stick of charcoal thrown inside. But it’s this understated simplicity that sets it apart from its chunkier plastic cousins.
- First off, this is a gorgeous 1.1l a hand-blown glass bottle. It makes for a beautiful addition to any dining table.
- The filter is natural binchōtan charcoal. This is a fancy-pants charcoal produced in Japan since the 17th century by steaming oak at temperatures of 1,000 degrees Celsius.
- Each filter lasts for a good six months. If you’re reasonable. If you drink twenty buckets a day like a parched camel, it will last a few hours.
What also makes the Black and Blum Eau Carafe cool is that it is friendly to the environment and everything from the cork stopper to the bottle is recyclable. People dump 22 billion plastic bottles a year (according to the packaging), and this baby won’t contribute to the problem.
Does it filter water as good as it looks?
The answer is yes, but you have to wait.
Unlike its brethren, which filter water instantly, this beauty takes a few hours to do its magic.
To get the most out of it, you have to wait for around eight hours (the amount it takes to read Madame Bovary!). Of course, if you’re thirsty, you can cut down the wait for a slight trade-off in water quality.
- 1 hour – a good, clean cup of water.
- 4 hours – mmm, tastes like a clear mountain spring.
- 8 hours – I can’t believe this came out of my tap!
The actual filtering is on par with most water pitchers in its class. It removes heavy impurities, such as chlorine, balances the pH of the water, and even gives water a sweeter taste, which is due to the water absorbing minerals from the binchōtan charcoal.
What the Black and Blum Eau Carafe lacks in filtering speed, it more than makes up for in looks. It’s classy and minimalist, and you can nab it for only $40 / £30.
In fact, what I like most about the Black and Blum is exactly this “downside”. Waiting for the water to filter makes you appreciate it more, and its perfect for the office! I keep it on my desk, top it up when I leave, and come in the next morning to have great-tasting water waiting for me at 8 am.
It’s a great looking filter and a pleasure to drink from, two thumbs up from us. Others seem to agree, with Amazon reviewers giving it a solid 8 out of 10. We love our hardy Britas, but this bottle is special.